"When faced with a problem you do not understand,
do any part of it you do understand; then look at it again."
~(Robert A. Heinlein - "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress")

About to comment here for the very first time?
Check Where'd my Comment go?!!! to avoid losing it.
-

Sunday, October 31, 2010

What the HELL has happened to Mott's Applesauce?!!!

Specifically, their Natural Applesauce, sold in packages of six cups.
(Updated below)    (Updated again - They're good now)
(ABSOLUTELY THE LAST UPDATE below)

I've loved this stuff, for more years than I can remember.

A few days ago I bought a package, opened a cup and found a darker color, and it was drier (almost had a crust). The taste was wrong and I spat it out and washed my mouth, thinking I got a bad batch.

Last night, I got another package, from another store, and same result.

On one corner of the package was this note,
  "New Look! 
   Same Great Taste!";
one truth, and one lie, in the space of five words.

The last time I'd ever had anything like this was when I awoke in a hospital after an operation, with throat parched from a few hours on an oxygen tube, and was treated to some of their applesauce that had dried out from being exposed too long to air.

It would seem that Mott's has decided to put hospital food on the grocery shelves.

I may write to them about this, but my experience is that when an outfit decides on making a change like this, changing back is an admission that this might not have been one of their brighter ideas.

How likely is that to happen?

Don't hold your breath.

(Decided to post about something serious, for a change. :-)

Update - 01 Nov 2010 - I did write to them, referring directly to this post, and received this (almost certainly automated, as there is no evidence that they have even read this post) response...
-----------------------------------------------------------
From: americasbeverages@cybercrs.net [mailto:americasbeverages@cybercrs.net]
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2010 05:55
To: gordonp@airmail.net
Subject: Your Contact Us submission has been received. # **********

Thank you for your email!   

If we can answer your question by email, you will receive a response within the next 72 hours.   However, if your issue requires resolution that we can only provide by regular mail, please allow 10-15 business days to receive our reply.   If you would like to speak to someone about your issue in the interim, please call us toll free at 1-800-426-4891 and refer to case number
**********.

IMPORTANT:  If you are using spam blocker software, please be sure to add consumer.relations@dpsg.com to your safe list to ensure that you will receive the reply to your inquiry promptly.

Thank you so much for your interest in our products!

Sincerely,

Consumer Relations

-----------------------------------------------------------

Okay, then...
We'll just see what commences.

Update - 03 Nov 2010 - What commenced was receipt of the following email later that day.
-----------------------------------------------------------
From: consumer.relations@dpsg.com [mailto:consumer.relations@dpsg.com]
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2010 20:01
To: gordonp@airmail.net
Subject: Your Inquiry About Mott's Applesauce Natural. # 010935350A

November 1, 2010
Dear Mr. Gordon:

Thank you for taking the time to contact Consumer Relations. In order to better assist you, it would be helpful if you would call us at 1-800-696-5891.  We are open Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm, Central Standard Time.

We appreciate your inquiry and look forward to hearing from you. 

Sincerely,

Consumer Relations

**********

Please do NOT reply to this email.  If you would like to respond to this message, click on the link below.

http://www.econsumeraffairs.com/am_bev/ContactUsFollowUp.htm?F1=mottsproducts&F3=**********

-----------------------------------------------------------

I only got around to calling today (Nov 3), and was assured by the guy I talked to that NO changes whatever have been made to their product, that both of the instances I had may indeed have been part of a bad batch.  They are investigating, to determine if a recall is necessary.

I'll wait a week (maybe two) and try again.   Hopefully, things will have returned to normal and I'll get something I enjoy again.

Update - 15 Nov 2010 - It appears that it was a bad batch, that is now gone from the shelves and has been replaced. What's there now is what it's supposed to be (damned good). So glad it wasn't a case of someone trying to "improve" it by changing something.

ABSOLUTELY THE LAST UPDATE - 15 Sep 2011
This post continues to get enormous numbers of hits.  It concerned a couple of instances, very close in the time-line, in which I got a bad sample (probably from the same batch).  They fixed it, and I've never run into another case yet.

I've just now closed off commenting on this post.  I'm tempted to remove the post entirely, as I have no vendetta against Mott's Applesauce and continue to be (not one of their best; I'm just one guy, after all) a very satisfied customer.

As long as you're here, I hope you'll be curious enough to take a look at the sidebar and check out some of my other posts before you leave.  Thanks.
-

3 comments:

Gary said...

Mott's was on strike from May to September...might want to change brands until they pull their heads out!

Anonymous said...

My son, Paul :-) and I were eating Mott's Natural applesauce (23 oz jar) that I bought a week ago (which were just being put on the shelf at the store so they were fresh). I told him I thought it smelled. He said it tasted bad. Since he is 6, I'm used to hearing that food doesn't always taste good... when he is avoiding wanting to eat something... but this boy eats applesauce daily. Hands down, this is NASTY!!! Opened another jar, same thing!!

In early December, I purchased a box of individual Mott's from Sam's club. Those individual packets taste fine.

So, there is "something" going on with Mott's and I'm not purchasing their product any longer!!! Thank goodness, I have some Musselman's in the pantry for my son to eat tonight.

Paul_In_Houston said...

Anonymous: I'm letting your comment be published, although I'd be a lot more comfortable if it were not anonymous.

Since my update of Nov 15, I haven't had any more problems with Motts.

I only buy the packs with the individual packets, so I can't say about the jars.

My experience suggests a bad batch; so far I have NO reason to think they have changed anything about their product.

For what it's worth.
-

Followers

Stat Counter