"When faced with a problem you do not understand,
do any part of it you do understand; then look at it again."
~(Robert A. Heinlein - "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress")

About to comment here for the very first time?
Check Where'd my Comment go?!!! to avoid losing it.
-

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Ready to hear God laugh?

I may be about to.

The title's inspired by this quotation, "Announcing your plans is a good way to hear God laugh.", uttered by Ian McShane (as Al Swearengen) in "Deadwood". (Some may have noticed that I used that quote as the title of my second post here.)

I'm announcing some plans, hoping some of my friends will nag me about this, and maybe eventually save my life as a result.

A few days ago (May 25) I reached 68. I seem to have circulation problems; shortness of breath, feeling faint at times, and deadening of finger and thumb tips, making doing some things with my hands feel as if I'm trying to do them with gloves on. If I faint on the job, there will quickly be NO job, and that will be a death sentence for me.

On the plus side, that simplifies things enormously; I'm just gonna have to make damned sure that never happens.

So, how am I going to fight this? Best thing I can think of is walk, Walk, WALK!!!

At the moment, my current job (though there really aren't that many hours) leaves me waking up half-dead in the morning, just too damned tired for the walking I need to do. That's why I'm committing myself with this announcement, hoping some occasional nagging from you will spur me to do what my own will seems unable to compel me to.

I'm giving myself a goal. On the weekend of October 23 and 24, the "Wings Over Houston" airshow is scheduled for Ellington Field (near the Space Center). I haven't been to one of those in ages. My goal is to be able to wander the miles over that field during the show, without keeling over from a heart attack, and to have enough feeling in my fingers to easily operate the controls on my camera, and (hopefully) to get some decent shots for my blog.

That airshow is just under five months away. I think that is a realistic goal, if I can make myself stick to it, knowing it might take three months to even begin to notice any improvement.

With any luck, perhaps I can persuade a certain friend to come with me. This year, they will have the USAF Thunderbirds flight team, accompanied as usual by the Confederate Air Force (I know! For PC reasons, their name was changed to the Commemorative Air Force, years ago, but for me, and most of their fans, it is still the Confederate Air Force).

That PC crap can get out of hand so easily, it's ridiculous. As a child in San Antonio, Texas, I went to (among others) Robert E. Lee elementary school. The last time I was there (2002), I found that it had been renamed to Evangeline something or other. That ain't where I went, and there will be ice-skating in Hell before I acknowledge that change. If that bothers anyone, that's too damned bad; I fail to see where any injustice has been rectified by changing the name of my school.

That last paragraph appears to have wandered off from the point of this post.
Well, so be it. I felt like venting a bit on Political Correctness being used as a substitute for thinking. Ok?

-

No comments:

Followers

Stat Counter