"When faced with a problem you do not understand,
do any part of it you do understand; then look at it again."
~(Robert A. Heinlein - "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress")

About to comment here for the very first time?
Check Where'd my Comment go?!!! to avoid losing it.
-

Thursday, July 21, 2011

R.I.P. Borders Books

In the spring of 1984, I moved up to Mt. Pleasant, in central Michigan, and lived there for 10 years beore returning to Houston in the fall of 1994.

My favorite places to shop for books up there were the various Borders Books stores, in Saginaw, Lansing and other towns there.  They had started, in Ann Arbor, in the seventies.

I've always liked the stores and their selection, and was delighted to find they had opened stores in Houston when I returned.

So, it was a shock to just now get an email from them announcing "going out of business" sales, beginning Friday, Jul 22, 2011 in their 399 stores prior to total liquidation.  They were just the latest victims of the current economy.

I've always liked them, and feel as if I've lost a personal friend.
That's all I can say.
-

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

Stat Counter