"When faced with a problem you do not understand,
do any part of it you do understand; then look at it again."
~(Robert A. Heinlein - "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress")

About to comment here for the very first time?
Check Where'd my Comment go?!!! to avoid losing it.
-

Sunday, July 01, 2012

"You keep using that word.

- I do not think it means what you think it means."

Thus spake Mandy Patinkin as Inigo Montoya in The Princess Bride (1987).
(That is the second most-quoted line from the movie. The first?  Many of you probably already know, but we'll get to that anyway.)

That movie was the midnight special at the River Oaks Theater last night.

The night was a bit of an adventure. Catching that showing was already on my to-do list, but got complicated by my car being in the shop Saturday, and not being finished (as they were sure it would be) so I'm on foot until Monday.

Fun part of that situation is that lower back pain makes walking difficult and painful.

Plus, you may have noted the "midnight" part.  The theater is a mile from my apartment and I walk though a mixed residential and commercial area (West Gray Street is a series of strip shopping centers in that area). Heading to the theater, a bit after 11 PM -- not so worrisome as plenty of people are out and about.

It was the return, at 2 AM that I wasn't all that thrilled about. So I took advantage of my CCL and was packing when I went to the theater.

In my post Speedloader, I mentioned a fanny-pack that I could use for concealment, but its problem is that it draws attention to itself. Instead, I just emptied the right-hand pocket of my slacks and put the .44 there.

It's a big pocket, but not an ideal solution as the weapon could snag if you don't grasp it properly (and adrenalin triggered by fear could certainly render "properly" as problematic), but I did feel much better knowing it was there. I figured on using situational-awareness as a substitute for fast draw anyway.

Also, it does make a bulge in that pocket, but it's not noticeable with black slacks at night. I would feel very uncomfortable in broad daylight with this. I'm really gonna have to come up with something better. But, time and money. Time and money. Mostly money.

I seem to recall starting off talking about a movie.

Ok, then ...

I wanted to experience the movie in a theater full of people who absolutely love movies, and that is an accurate description of the typical River Oaks Theater attendee. The usual audience is much better behaved than you find at most theaters, not because the theater has a huge bouncer (it doesn't), but because that's just the way they are.

What I did not expect is that the movie has such a following of people familiar with screenwriter William Goldman's dialog, that it would get a The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) treatment from the audience saying most of the lines in unison with the movie. I had no idea it had become that much of a cult item.

Loved the experience and am so glad that I didn't let my fears keep me from going.

Absolutely wonderful and fun movie. If you can't experience it the way I did last night, at least get the DVD and give yourself a treat.

So, what's the most-quoted line from the movie? To the point where the movie even quotes itself? Once more, it's from Inigo (who gets some of the best lines in the movie) and is unappreciated by the one to whom it was directed.

Mandy Patinkin as Inigo Montoya
from billybrew.com

Inigo (to the man he has found after searching for him for twenty years):
 "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

The man (after Inigo has repeated it for about the fifth time while pressing his attack): "STOP SAYING THAT!!!"
-

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your site is really good and the posts are just wonderful. Thank you and keep doing your great work.

gcotharn said...

I love the movie.

In the scene of drinking poison wine during the battle of wits:
the man who dies ... reminds me of leftists on blogs;
the man who lives reminds me of small government conservatives: we have trained ourselves to be immune to the leftist poison; we may drink from any cup.

Paul Gordon said...

Being a bit (perhaps more than a bit) of a narcissist, I'd truly love to take that comment seriously.

The only visitor my site meter shows around that time is a science and science-fiction writer who has said nice things about a few of my posts.

Problem is, being so general just ain't his style at all, nor is being bashful about letting one know who is commenting on one's work.

So, while I'm delighted that the writer I have in mind took a look, I don't believe that comment is his.

On the other hand, as there is no link in there to a site trying to sell me something, perhaps someone out there really means what that comment said.

I can only hope. :-)
-

Paul Gordon said...

My comment above was az reply to the one from Anonymous. It was not referring to gcotharn's comment, which arrived while I was writing.

I suspect that Anonymous' comment is probably from a spambot. In one of my earlier posts HOW do spambots evade my site meter? , I learned from StatCounter (my site meter) tht they don't.

They recognize them for what they are, and don't include them in the results I see.

So, as much as I cherish Anonymous' comment, I shall try to not let it go to my head. :-)
-

Anonymous said...


you make blogging seem easy. The overall look of your site is amazing, let alone the information!

Followers

Blog Archive

Stat Counter