"When faced with a problem you do not understand,
do any part of it you do understand; then look at it again."
~(Robert A. Heinlein - "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress")

About to comment here for the very first time?
Check Where'd my Comment go?!!! to avoid losing it.
-

Thursday, September 20, 2012

They're rioting in Africa.


They're rioting in Africa.
They're starving in Spain.
There's hurricanes in Florida
   and Texas needs rain.

The whole world is festering with unhappy souls.
The French hate the Germans. The Germans hate the Poles.
Italians hate Yugoslavs. South Africans hate the Dutch
   and I don't like anybody very much!

But we can be tranquil and thankful and proud
for man's been endowed with a mushroom shaped cloud.
And we know for certain that some lovely day
   someone will set the spark off and we will all be blown away.

They're rioting in Africa.
There's strife in Iran.
What nature doesn't do to us
   will be done by our fellow man.


~"The Merry Minuet" - Performed by The Kingston Trio (1959)
    Copyright 1959, by Sheldon Harnick,.

"The more things change ..."
-

3 comments:

Gary Binkley said...

And for what it's worth, you left the album with that song on it when you moved to Houston.....and I still have it!!!

Paul Gordon said...

For another for what it's worth, I have a copy of that album again.

It's their from the "Hungry i" and I've re-acquired it, along with the original The Kingston Trio and The Kingston Trio At Large.

Besides leaving some behind when I left, at various times I had sold off LP's when in financial distress (often).

In one of those episodes, during the mid-80s, with the advent of CDs, I figured on replacing them with such later on.

Problem is, that there are some things I had that was never re-released on CD, and there were instances where the CD had a rebalanced or enhanced sound that just didn't seem right.

So, over time (and via the internet) I've managed to find some of the LP's I loved so much.

Valuable lesson regarding new technology: never assume that what you have and cherish in a particular medium will be available in whatever new medium replaces it.

For many reasons (rights, possible demand, and just plain money) that likelihood is really a crap shoot.

I've learned that, to my sorrow, with LPs, and with VHS videos.
-
-

GW said...

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Followers

Blog Archive

Stat Counter